Tuesday 11 February 2014

Clever Cardio for Those with Mobility Issues

Clever Cardio for Those with Mobility Issues

One of my mantras is: "That which I cannot do now is my aspiration, not my defeat."

If you are have trouble moving or haven’t exercised in awhile, it can be very daunting to take on new cardio moves.  Most cardio moves involve the need to be on your feet, so I’m going to give you a few that don’t.  This is part of the CAN DO SparkPeople attitude I would love to see people embrace.

As most of you know, I was totally bedridden at 460 pounds and have lost 150 pounds.  I had to come up with some cardio moves that did not involve my legs because at that time, I couldn’t use them.  Clever Cardio, let’s call it.  That’s the cardio you come up with when you think out of the box or throw the box out completely.  Remember everything is better with music.

Here are some exercises that worked for me. Always consult with your health-care provider before starting any new workout routine.

Punch Aerobics 

I created these exercises to be done seated or standing.

Get 2 hand weights, the round kind that fit in your palm with a band that go over the front of your hand. Put on music and punch and do upper body dance moves.

Get a pillow. Put on music and punch the pillow up above you. The goal is to keep the pillow up. If it falls, pick it up and start again, just keep going, because the pillow WILL fall a lot. It's part of the game.

Dance!

Yes, with or without your legs!  Simply put on your favorite music and strike a few poses.  Get crazy and just let go and move.  Add extra resistance with hand weights.  I personally like the 80’s music!

Hula Hands and Hips
Get two Frisbee Flying Rings.  Use one on each hand and make circles like you are spinning the hoops around your wrists.



Make figure eights with your hips on a stability ball.  This is another one where you can really get creative with seated dance moves!

Resistance Bands and Hand Weights

Moving faster with these items will produce a sweat in a hurry and help you build muscle.

Sometimes I clean for my workout.  It sounds silly, but with my abilities (NOTdisabilities) it is well suited to give me personally a sweaty workout.  That’s something I like to focus on now, my abilities- what I CAN do, rather than what is out of my reach.

When it comes to exercise, nothing is out of bounds, too silly or too little to help.  Something is always better than nothing. 

Link  http://www.sparkpeople.com/blog/blog.asp?post=clever_cardio_for_those_with_mobility_issues

No comments:

Post a Comment

Beauty from within

Beauty from within